Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Working with Colored Pencils

Part of yesterday was a bit dark. Maybe I should not post them here and should start a second blog, but my thoughts still stand.

Today I used 50% off coupon from Michaels to purchase a set of 72 Prismacolor colored pencils. They are usually considered the Cadillac of colored pencils buy artists. Now I need to create a color wheel and learn how the colors work together. I am a completely self taught artist. I had not drawn or painted from high school to the time I became disabled and needed to find things I could still do well. When I started experimenting I was interested more in things I was physically able to handle than how good I might be. As it turned out actually could draw and paint good enough to at least not be ashamed to share my work. Now that I have gotten to a point where I am doing about as good as I am able I need to start actually learning form others. Thus studying the color wheel.

Not that I have not been learning from other all along. My art really took off when I joined Carol's Drawing Club. The friendliest group of artists on the web as far as I am concerned. They have been gently and lovingly offering suggestions and ideas to help me improve and improve I have. Not only improving, but encouraged enough to keep learning and trying new techniques. Thus the colored pencils and the color wheel.

When I worked I enjoyed computers because there was something new every day ( or every minute) and art is the same way. No matter how much I learn there is more waiting to be learned. It is not a good hobby for lazy people and it take a fair amount of paitence to do well at all. In other words it is challenging and that is fine with me. I will keep you posted as I learn about color wheels.

No comments: