Friday, September 19, 2008

Google Chrome Browser Warning

I few days ago I wrote that i was testing Google Chrome and thinking about making it my default browser. I did something that none of the software companies expect you to do. I read the EULA ( end user license agreement) for Chrome. It says in simpler words that Google has full rights to use any information that passes through your browser no matter what it is. The way it is written they could take your bank or credit card information from your log on and share of sell it and be above a law suit. They could take my drawings and use or sell them no matter that I have them copyrighted. I think this is an very dangerous path Google is trying to lead us down. Use it is you must, but realize that you are giving up all of your intellectual rights to your information by doing so. We really need to start reading the fine print. All of it even though it may be 100 pages if we intend to use a software program. If I took a poll I would be willing to bet that no one would say they always read the EULA. Start doing it please.

At the moment I will continue to use either Firefox 3 (my favorite) or Opera because both are safer than Internet Explorer from Microsoft.

1 comment:

Tresses said...

Larry,
I always read the EULAs can't tell you how many programs I have not utilized because of the EULA.
Having tested software I know that EULAs can be as simple as pie or as strict and technical as a law document that you are bound to once you click that agree button. You don't have to be computer savvy to READ!!! It's so vital that you understand what you are agreeing to before you say YES!
Tresses