Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A rest day

Today has been a day to rest after taking on the Iowa Science Center with a four year old. It has also been a day to find some warmer clothes. Yesterday was nearly 90 F and today the high has been about 62 F. Sue Ann thinks winter is here. It is rather unusual weather, but our weather has been unusual all year. I am not in the panic that some are about global warming. Not that I don't think we contribute, but I have been looking at the history of climate changes and in the time records have been kept we have had mini ice ages and terrible heat and drought. In the 1930's in the US it was so hot and so dry the soil blew around like sand dunes in the Sahara desert. In the Middle Ages there were a few years where it got so cold they said there was no summer for several years in a row. Rivers that never freeze froze over and crops did not even get planted. The climate of our planet goes through cycles and many things including man have effects on it. Our sun varies in the amount of light and therefore heat it gives out. A large volcanic eruption puts enough dust in the air to block sun light and reflect it back out into space causing cold weather for years sometimes.

I don't know what started that,but now you have had your science lesson for the day. I started saying that I was resting today and not doing very much. Listening to talk radio today because the elections suddenly got interesting. They were important before, but now they really are interesting to watch. I have not reached any conclusions yet, but I appreciate the entertainment.

Have you ever compared medical bills that come from a office visit to your doctor when you don't have insurance to one when you do? Worse have you ever compared an office visit procedure to an emergency room visit? The same thing cost 4 times more when my wife had to go to ER than when she had it done during a normal office call. The same equipment was used and maybe even the same people did the procedure. Does this seem right to you. It does not to me. Will the insurance company pay 4 times more because she had to go to ER or will we have to pay the difference. How much cheaper would insurance be if there was only one price for things. Obviously the procedure can be done for the lower cost or it wouldn't have been done at that price. Our medical billing system and insurance really stinks.

If you are a member of Carol's Drawing Club you already know I started drawing a rose in colored pencil because I posted the first of my work there several days ago. If you like to draw and have not been to the site you really should check it out. The link is on the left side of my blog and on the main page of my web site. Here is the drawing I am working on.

No comments: