Monday, September 8, 2008

What happened to summer?

Isn't it still supposed to be summer? There is talk of frost in northern Iowa and more than talk north of Iowa. Sue Ann brought plants in today. Plants that there never seems to be enough room for. If take them outside for summer something else moves in to it's spot. It never fails. Every spare inch of house space becomes occupied as soon as you turn your back. We remodeled the the two upstairs rooms in to a bedroom and sewing room. It only took a year and a half mind you with my having CFS. If I didn't have boys who love me it still would be half way finished. As it is I only have a bit of trim and some bookcase shelves to do. Anyway, the old bedroom seems to have become populated with stuff I didn't even know we had.

Back to summer. It does seem that global warming means local cooling for some areas. It is actually too soon to tell for sure because the weather fluctuates so much normally that it is really hard to say any one year is unusual. I remember 8 inches of heavy white stuff in October one year and my out with a long pole trying to save trees that still had all of their leaves.

I finished a drawing today. It is the one of the old 2 story school house and Mason's Lodge in Cauthron, Ark. The same one I wrote about a couple days ago. Now I need a new subject. It really feels good when I finish a drawing. Some of the graphite drawings take from 20 to 30 or even more hours and I rarely am able to work more than a couple hours at one time. It is not about how great the drawing is. It has a lot of me in it by the time I am done and there is a lot of the subject in me in return. I do my art for myself. If others happen to like it so much the better, but it isn't necessary at all.

1 comment:

Tresses said...

Larry I just love this old school house. Makes me shiver almost looking at the haunting view. Your detail work is incredible!!!
Teresa