Saturday, September 6, 2008

Browser Wars

I am trying out a new browser today. I have used Firefox for several years and have liked it a lot. It has more plugins than any other browser. Many of which I have come to depend on. Since version 3 came out though it has been a memory hog and seems to load slower. Google has just released a new browser. Actually it is the beta release, but from what I read it was a lot faster than other browers. I can't say it loads new pages a lot faster, but loading up at first it is probably 1/10 the time of FireFox. At first it takes less memory, but as you open multiple pages Google's Chrome uses more memory than FireFox. It is faster because it opens each page in it's own memory space which is supposed to also be safer. For now I like the speed, but I miss some of the FireFox features so the jury is still out.

Microsoft has released Internet Explorer 8 which is also supposed to be much better than the previous versions, but I have not been able to bring myself to install it. I do have IE7 installed because you have to have Microsoft's browser installed in order to update Windows, but I have never really liked Internet Explorer. That is a personal choice, but I believe that using FireFox or Opera is safer. Google's Chrome probably is also. It isn't even because Microsoft has a bad browser. It is because hacker like the attacks that give them the most success. If most people use IE then hacker attack IE. Simple logic.

This isn't what I planned to write about today, but I was trying out Chrome so I thought I would share my results so far with you. That is it is much faster.

No comments: