Saturday, August 23, 2008

Hawgstock Weekend

This is Hawgstock weekend in Winterset. What is Hawgstock? It is an excuse for a bunch of bikers to get drunk and naked and act stupid. I am not against drinking, but I am against drunkenness. When people get blotto they have no inhibitions or self control. I am not against nakedness either, but there is something about public group nakedness and drunkenness combined that seems wrong somehow. Of course most of the nakedness will be the women and most of the drunkenness will be the men. The whole thing has been deemed legal by the courts, but that does not make it right in the eyes of the majority of the local citizens.

That leads to a discussion about democracy and the rights of the majority to rule. Our country has gotten to the point where we bend over backwards to not offend one person that we take away the rights of the majority. That means it is no longer truly a democracy. If it were a democracy then the wants and needs of the majority would rule rather than the wants and needs of one. In the attempt to not offend anyone the government is offensive to everyone. I know there are many people who are better at putting things in words, but I think everyone knows how I feel now.

Oh Yeah! You might take a minute to look at some of my art and let me know what you think of it.

No comments: