Monday, March 9, 2009

I stopped and looked around at a local art gallery the other day and while I was there I mentioned that I draw and had a website. When they looked at the website I realized that it had been quite some time since I updated and some of my better drawings were not on the website at all. Because of that I went home and updated my website and all of the links except photographs are live now. I still haven't chosen which photographs I want to put on Internet.

The name of the art gallery is madhausgallery and the link to their website is http://www.madhausgallery.com. If you enjoy art of any kind it would be worth your time to take a look at their website. I immediately felt like I'd made two new friends when I began talking with Robin and John. They both have full-time day jobs, teach art at night and run a gallery. If you live in Winterset or close by you should stop in on a weekend when they're open and get to know them and look at some of their work. Their gallery is in the old Madisonian building.

I finished the drawing that I showed on my last post and it is one of those that is now on my website along with the barns that I drew for the quilt Sue Ann is working on. The quilt is coming along quite nicely by the way. She has a design firm in her mind and it is just cutting and sewing. I shouldn't say "just" because it's quite a chore in itself trying to keep everything square. She does a really good job of it and I'm sure it's much better than what I would do. I'm looking forward to her finishing another quilt so I can tie it and sew the binding. I find sewing even more relaxing than drawing. Probably because sewing is less mental effort.

I haven't said much if anything about the economy on my blog but I can't keep my mouth shut any longer. Time after time you see people refuse a pay cut or even refuse to bypass a future raise even when they know that it may cost someone their job because there's not going to be enough money to pay everyone's salary if they do get their raise. To me that's like playing Russian roulette. Everyone has to be betting that it's not going to be them who loses their job. You see it happening all over. Local unions are doing it as well as car manufacturers unions. If any of the American car manufacturers disappear it will be simply because of the greed of the unions. If any local jobs disappear it will also be because of the greed of the unions. People don't seem to really believe that we are in a recession. I don't know if they've stuck their head in the sand and refuse to see what's going on around them or if they're incapable of understanding what is going on.

LARRY

No comments: