Friday, October 10, 2008

My art and other people

I know why I draw, but do you know why you do? If you create art for any reason other than to satisfy yourself you are going to be disappointed. No one will understand your art the way you do. They will not know what drives you to create. They will make comments that you feel are either stupid or insensitive without even knowing it. It will end up causing you to feel bad about your art and about yourself.

When I draw or paint or take photographs I do it for my satisfaction. Of course I'm such a perfectionist that usually more people approve of my final drawing painting or photograph than I do.that doesn't mean that I don't do some art that no one appreciates or understands. Sometimes even my wife's not able to pretend she likes it. But there's usually a reason. There's an emotion I need to let out or an effect I need to try.

I know from past experience and from experience with friends who are artist that if you're counting on other people's approval to make you feel good about your art you're going to be hurt, and hurt badly. it always feels great to have other people tell you that you've done something well, but that cannot be the reason that you draw or paint. And the reason certainly can't be money unless you're one of the very few who make enough money to survive as an artist.

My reasons for taking photographs are different than my reasons for painting and drawing. Usually when I take photographs it's to capture the moment. That is especially true when grand children are involved. Other times the camera is just a tool so I can take my subject home with me where I can paint it or draw it in the comfort of my own little corner of the world. But when I draw or paint I'm almost always trying to express something. If I'm drawn an old building were born I'm trying to express the history, and the years and a sense of everything that may have happened there. Other subjects may have different reasons. Usually I'm trying to express a mood or emotion. Other times I'm trying to capture mother nature and show her not as a photograph but in a way that has my feelings intertwined with how it looks.

Asking other people for help or hints or to look for mistakes is fine. But when you're satisfied with the subject it's time to ignore the critics. Just say" here it is world take it or leave it". That's not bad advice or anything that you do.



1 comment:

Tresses said...

I always come back to this in the end...it's just that in between stage that I hate. When you put your work out there for the general public to see it's like laying your soul wide open for criticism. That's how much each and every piece I do means to me. Because it comes from the heart and is so important to me there are moments when the feelings others have regarding my work to hurt if they don't like it...because I am layed so bare. I always come back down to earth and draw for my own sake in the end...because it heals me from everything the world slings at me. If we didn't care what other people thought we wouldn't show our art to the world we would hoard it for ourselves, but we do care to some degree. The important thing I have to remember is that I care, but I draw for me! Thanks for the reminder. Hugs, Teresa